Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms
Other IBS Signs or SymptomsBesides chronic pain and changes in bowel habits, there are some other symptoms a person with irritable bowel syndrome may experience. These include symptoms that affect the digestive system, such as:
- Bloating, which is gas building up in the intestines and causing the feeling of pressure inside the abdomen
- Intestinal gas or burping
- Difficulty swallowing
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or heartburn
- Chest pain that is not heart-related.
Also, people with IBS may also complain of problems outside of the digestive tract. These include:
- Changes in sexual function
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Painful menstruation
- More frequent urination.
(Click Diagnosing Irritable Bowel Syndrome to learn about the specific symptoms that are needed to make a diagnosis of this condition.)