Very little information is available on the possible effects of an overdose with Linzess (linaclotide). The specific effects will depend on how much of the drug was taken and other factors. Treatment options may include administering certain medications or providing supportive care. Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have taken too much of this drug.
Can You Take Too Much Linzess?
Linzess™ (linaclotide) is a prescription medication used to treat chronic constipation without a known cause (chronic idiopathic constipation) and to treat irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). Like most medications, it is possible to overdose on Linzess.
The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Linzess dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose
There is very little information available on the effects of a Linzess overdose. In clinical studies, doses as high as 2897 mcg (almost 10 times the recommended human dose) caused effects similar to the normally expected Linzess side effects. The most commonly reported side effect from these high Linzess doses was diarrhea.
Treatment Options for a Linzess Overdose
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment of any type of overdose also usually involves supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, medications may be given to treat severe diarrhea. Intravenous (IV) fluids could also be given if severe diarrhea causes dehydration.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a Linzess overdose.