Irritable Bowel Syndrome Home > Bentyl Overdose
In the event that you take too much Bentyl (dicyclomine), overdose symptoms may include nausea and vomiting, blurred vision, dilated pupils, and difficulty swallowing. These effects are often the usual side effects of the medication, except they are more severe. Various treatment options are available for a Bentyl overdose, including "pumping the stomach," certain medications, and antidotes.
Bentyl® (dicyclomine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication that is classified as an anticholinergic. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Bentyl. The specific effects of a Bentyl overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Bentyl dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
As an anticholinergic medication, Bentyl causes a characteristic group of overdose effects, such as:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Dilated (wide open) pupils
- Hot, dry skin
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Stimulation of the central nervous system (which can cause numerous different effects, such as a fast heart rate, high blood pressure, hyperactivity, or jitteriness).
Many of these effects are simply more severe occurrences of the usual Bentyl side effects that can occur with normal doses.
The treatment for a Bentyl overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Medications may be given to sedate the person, especially if nervous system stimulation is severe. Medications are also available that can serve as antidotes to Bentyl and may reverse the effects of an overdose. In general, such antidotes should be used only if absolutely necessary.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Bentyl.