Irritable Bowel Syndrome Home > Lotronex Side Effects
Research has shown that nausea, constipation, and diarrhea are some of the most commonly reported side effects of Lotronex. It can be difficult to predict, however, if you will experience problems with this drug, so make sure to report anything out of the ordinary to your healthcare provider. Serious reactions can occur, such as bloody diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and hives, which will require urgent medical attention.
An Introduction to Lotronex Side Effects
As with any medicine, Lotronex® (alosetron hydrochloride) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Lotronex. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Lotronex
Lotronex has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received Lotronex, while another group received a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common Lotronex side effects included:
- Constipation -- in up to 29 percent of people
- Abdominal (stomach) or intestinal discomfort or pain -- up to 7 percent
- Nausea -- up to 6 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3 percent
- Hemorrhoids -- up to 3 percent
- Anal bleeding due to hemorrhoids -- up to 3 percent
- Gas -- up to 3 percent
- Bloating or fullness in the stomach (distention) -- up to 2 percent
- Reflux or regurgitation (the movement of stomach contents back up through the esophagus) -- up to 2 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in at least 3 percent of people (the exact percentage of these side effects was not reported in the Lotronex package information), included: