Zelnorm Dosing for Chronic Idiopathic ConstipationFor the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation in people less than 65 years old, the suggested dose is Zelnorm 6 mg taken by mouth twice daily before meals. Your healthcare provider will decide if you need to stay on Zelnorm long-term.
Some considerations for people taking Zelnorm include:
- Zelnorm has not been approved for IBS with constipation in men or for chronic idiopathic constipation in people 65 years of age or older.
- Zelnorm should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medicine in your blood.
- If you do not take your Zelnorm as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of Zelnorm.
- Your Zelnorm dosage should be taken before meals and on an empty stomach if possible. Try to space your Zelnorm doses out evenly, perhaps one dose before breakfast and the second dose before your evening meal.
- For Zelnorm to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Zelnorm will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed. If you stop taking Zelnorm, IBS or chronic constipation symptoms may return in one or two weeks.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Zelnorm or your Zelnorm dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Zelnorm without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.